Drywall, Acoustics & Lathing Applicators (451A)
Drywall, Acoustics and Lathing Applicators erect exterior structural steel studs and sheeting, shaft wall systems, and install and finish lath and drywall, partition walls and furring, ceiling systems and access flooring types as well as applying thermal and sound insulation.
Job Related Skills
- Installing drywall, pre-fabricated panels and partition walls.
- Exterior structural steel studs and sheeting.
- Installing and framing exterior walls, doors, windows, affixing anchors and bracing.
- Reading, interpreting and applying blueprints.
- Using a transit, laser level, measuring tape, water level, dry line, ladder or scaffold.
- Thermal and sound insulation, sound attenuation blankets.
- Installing and sealing vapour barriers.
- Understanding job site safety procedures and effectively using them to work and stay safe.
- Use of power tools and equipment that are related to the job at hand
To become a Drywall Acoustics and Lathing Applicator, a grade 10 education is currently the legal minimum to be apprenticed in this trade under the Ontario College of Trades Apprenticeship Act (2009). Please note that the minimum entry requirements to this and other trades are currently under review by the Ontario College of Trades. The Carpenters Local 1669 recommends grade 12 Math and grade 12 English coupled with a high school diploma or equivalent. Apprentices having these assets have demonstrated increased apprenticeship completions and Red Seal examination success. Completion of a 5,400-hour Apprenticeship includes a combination of on-the-job work experience and complete 2 mandatory eight (8) week block of expanded class time of in-school training, before successfully writing an examination to obtain your Certificate of Qualification.
How to obtain a Certificate of Qualification
Once apprentices have completed the required schooling and work experience, they may write the Drywall Certificate of Qualification examination through the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. To be successful and achieve the “Red Seal” certification and individual must score a minimum of 70%.
How to apply for a Carpentry Apprenticeship at the Carpenters Local 1669
If you are interested in starting an exciting career as a Drywall, Acoustics and Lathing Applicator through our apprenticeship program, please complete the Membership Application 2017.pdf and drop off your completed application package, with all supporting documents, in person to the Carpenters Local 1669 Training Centre located at 1306 Capital Way, Innova Park. *Please note that incomplete applications unfortunately will not be accepted – ensure you have includes all required documents.